Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sense on Health Care Reform

Dread Tomato Addiction blog signature In the spirit of Mark Clifton's essay, I give you the Daily Show Panel on Health Care Reform:

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Healther Skelter - Obama Death Panel Debate
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorSpinal Tap Performance


And there must be reform. Our current system, for all that it does well, is not sustainable, and is increasingly motivated by corporate profit. Among other things, the insurance industry has created a self-interested bureaucracy that is growing like a cancer.

Perhaps a disclaimer is in order: I an employed by a medical school, and arguably benefit when the health care industry make a good profit.

[Update]
My son asked me my opinion on health care reform after watching that Daily Show episode. And in explaining my views to him it occurred to me that medicine has a well established code of ethics, the first of which is "Do No Harm." Insurance coverage is increasing becoming a key part of health care, but the insurance industry is not bound by the same code of ethics. I think a successful reform should mandate that insurance companies operate within similar ethical guidelines.

[update: typo ... grrr]
Dread Tomato Addiction blog signature