Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Make Them Laugh

Dread Tomato Addiction blog signature Scott Aaronson has a great post about humor in scientific talks:

Essentials of complexity-theoretic stand-up comedy


Here's a very short excerpt:

But because I love you, my readers, so deeply, and because I feel guilty about abandoning you for so long, I shall now publicly deconstruct the main ingredients of seminar humor, insofar as I’ve been able to find them. (A few ingredients are specific to theoretical computer science, but most are more general.)

  1. Make fun of people in the audience. (Of course, you have to do it in such a way that they’re flattered you’re ripping them and not someone else.)

Good stuff, if you are a geeky science type. Go read the whole thing at Shtetl-Optimized.
Dread Tomato Addiction blog signature

No comments:

Post a Comment