Thursday, September 25, 2008
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Monday, September 22, 2008
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Not to mention some really cool Grand Canyon adventures.
Who IS this suspicious character??
Photos by Dennis Foster
Friday, September 19, 2008
Now I understand...
By Roger Freedman
I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight...
(hope I'm not offending anyone)
* If you grow up in
, and are raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic, different." Hawaii
* If you grow up in
eating mooseburgers, you're a quintessential American story. Alaska
* If your name is Barack, you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
* If you name your kids
, Trig and Track, you're a maverick. Willow
* If you graduate from
, you are unstable. Harvard Law School
* If you attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.
* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.
* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.
* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising two beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.
* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.
* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.
* If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system, while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant and if you try to
make victimized women pay for their own rape kits, you're very responsible.
* If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's
values don't represent
* If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.
OK, much clearer now.
I searched for the original source and wasn't sucessful, but according to this it originated from the Facebook group 1,000,000 Strong Against John McCain (there are a half-dozen groups with that name).
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Discussion at Pandas Thumb:
Opposing Views Web site:
If you take the time to sign in, don't forgot to vote in the related poll.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
More recently when seeking a name for my blog about humor in science and statistics, I got really stuck when I found the name I wanted (Standard Deviations) was already in (multiple) use. With a little help from my friends though, I was prodded to recall this story I liked so much: Statistics, SciFi, wonderful lies, and a perfect title. I intend to throw a lot of tomatoes at science and other easy targets. This should be fun!
[update: Replaced the non-functional link to "Dread Tomato Addiction" PDF with a copy hosted on my own Google site.]