Saturday, November 1, 2008

Honorable Sewerage

If a group of people wanted to named a sewerage treatment plant in your honor, how would you react?

My first thought was "well that's pretty sh*tty crappy thing to do", but then I thought a bit harder. A sewerage treatment plant performs a necessary and valuable function to the community. It protects the public health from disease and the environment from pollution, so maybe it's not such a bad thing after all. But now look what some folk in San Fransisco want to do:
Group seeks Bush sewage 'tribute'
A citizens group in San Francisco wants to pay an ironic tribute to President George W Bush when he leaves office - by naming a sewage plant after him.
I would be honored to have such a facility named after me. No ... really, I think it would be cool! This plant would be performing a great public service to the entire community for years, probably even many years after I am gone, and I would be well remembered for generations to come.

My concern is this really isn't an appropriate tribute. After all, President Bush has demonstrated far greater ability to create messes than ability to clean them up. Therefore, I would like to suggest some alternate tributes:

George W Bush Marine Salvage Service (for those sunken ships of State)
George W Bush Roller Derby Arena and School of Foreign Policy
George W Bush Plumbing (specializing in economic bail-outs)
George W Bush Memorial Landfill, so the last eight years can be buried and forgotten.

Please feel free to add to the list! [and thanks to Christian for the tip!]

4 comments:

  1. To Mr. Dan Eastwood

    I liked the humorous style of your writing. Would like to revisit your posts.

    If you are interested in reading short stories, or in paintings, then a visit to my blogs would be a good idea..

    Naval Langa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. Here I thought I was taking on a lot by starting two different blogs, but I see that you have 15! Hats-off to you sir, you are a real writer. I like what I have read so far, and I will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to top the Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Centre in Glen Iris, Melbourne.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt#Memorials

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. I would much rather go for a swim at the Harold Holt Centre than a sewerage processing facility! ;-)

    ReplyDelete