Saturday, September 5, 2009

Wyoming Geology Museum Reopens

Wyoming Geology MuseumThe story that the Wyoming Geology Museum Will Reopen caught me by surprise. It's a great feature of Laramie and the University of Wyoming, and I am distressed that it was put on the budget chopping block, and that its long-time curator is gone.

Wyoming Geology Museum wrong SH Doc KnightThis story has it's own blog detailing all the rallying efforts to reopen the museum, check it out at Keep Laramie Dinos. I also found a good great photo collection from Fossil Freak, where I found most of the photos featured here.


What I can add to this story is my own memories of this place:

Wyoming Geology Museum apaposaurusMy first visit was in 1971, shortly after my family moved to Laramie. I recall being shocked and slightly frightened by the gigantic dinosaur that looked down hungrily on me as I entered. A few years later it was discovered they had the wrong head mounted on it and replaced it with the correct apatosaurus skull, which was smaller and not nearly so fierce, nor as likely to strike terror into the hearts of small children.

Wyoming Geology Museum wrong head apaposaurus HowStuffWorks has an article on this "celebrated scientific mistake" and how it was discovered and corrected. The head I first viewed is much larger and toothier that the correct skull, and it is still on display near the entrance.


The apatosaurus is perhaps the single greatest display in the museum, and if I recall, there are only three mounted apatosaurus skeletons like this in the world. Quite an accomplishment for this mighty little museum.








Wyoming Geology MuseumEver have one of those dreams where you are being chased by a dinosaur. When I had that dream THIS IS THE BEASTY that was after me.

Later on, tossing pine cones into the mouth of the hungry T-Rex was an entertaining game.

There is more I could say, but I think I'll let Fossil Freak's photos say it for me.


Image credits:
Casper Star-Tribune
Waymaking.com
FossilFreak
Keep Laramie Dinos
Dread Tomato Addiction blog signature

Wyoming Geology Museum

Wyoming Geology Museum

Wyoming Geology Museum

Wyoming Geology Museum

Wyoming Geology Museum

Wyoming Geology Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment