Thursday, November 13, 2008

What Makes People Vote Republican?

In my political wanders heading up the the election, I came across a true gem of an article on Edge: WHAT MAKES PEOPLE VOTE REPUBLICAN?
...the second rule of moral psychology is that morality is not just about how we treat each other (as most liberals think); it is also about binding groups together, supporting essential institutions, and living in a sanctified and noble way. When Republicans say that Democrats "just don't get it," this is the "it" to which they refer.


To briefly summarize: It is an amazingly well written article, it's not going to turn me into a Republican, but it might help me understand their position a little better. Understanding is a good thing, and we could all do with a bit more of it.

2 comments:

  1. As one who often votes republican especially on issues of Life, I guess I should be grateful that I am not to be viewed as a narrow-minded bigot. On the other hand, I get the definite impression from the author that I am still intellectually inferior. I often wonder why I believe in divine revelation and God, both being so well demonstrated to be irrational. Maybe they go beyond evolution?
    The man is a fine intellect and the concessions are all well thought out, and, I will acknowledge, generous(which I respect from either side of the aisle) but I think he still doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the article is intended for a Democratic/Liberal audience, and it works from that viewpoint - at least in part, because I got a lot out of it. No doubt you are correct that the author does not completely "get it", because it is not reasonable to think these are the only motivations for a Republican/Conservative view.
    In general, trying to oversimplify the thought process of the "other" side is a bad idea. Unfortunately, this also seems to be the basis of American electoral politics.
    Thanks for your comment! --- D

    ReplyDelete